Sunday 23 February 2014

Yam Paste Dessert (Orh Nee)

I had about 200 g of yam left after using some to cook yam rice. So I decided to try and make some Yam Paste Dessert (Orh Nee) from the yam that I had left.


Ingredients:

200 g yam (cut into slices or cubes)
1 tablespoon of cooking oil
75 ml of coconut milk (I used the "kara" brand)
70 g of sugar


Steps:


1. Put the yam cubes on a steamer rack together with some pandan leaves and steam for about 15 min until the yam cubes turn soft. 





2. Once the yam cubes are soft, switch off the fire and mash the yam cubes.

3. Add cooking oil, coconut milk and sugar to the mashed yam. Place this mixture in a small slow cooker and brew it for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally. This is also a good way to keep the yam paste warm. 

I prefer my orh nee to have some yam cubes in it for the texture, so I didn't bother to blend the mixture.

Orh Nee in slow cooker

Above is a picture of the Orh Nee with half the amount left in the slow cooker.

Tasted good. Maybe next time, I can add pumpkin :) .



Note: Most recipes require that we put cooking oil, the mashed yam, sugar and coconut milk in a cooking pan and stir the mixture constantly. I was too lazy to keep an eye on the fire and stir constantly. So I used the slow cooker instead. Using the slow cooker also means it takes longer to cook to the required consistency. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will be moderated before publishing. You only need to key in your comments once.